Wednesday, February 7, 2018

A Reel Birthday


This month marks the 8th anniversary of Reel Speak.

This little blog was founded on a love for cinema; a love that began in a darkened theatre in 1977 when the magnificent STAR WARS captured the imagination and heart of me, and the entire world. It was a night that set me on a career and life path, with Reel Speak founded on a desire to share that love and expand on the wonderful world of movies.

Each year, to celebrate Reel Speak’s first blog entry on February 24th, 2010, this Blogger is proud to share the Top 20 reasons Why I Love the Movies. It’s my favorite one to post each year, as I get to revisit this list of direct and indirect references to films which have captured me the same way STAR WARS did over 40 years ago. This list has changed and evolved, and each year it offers an opportunity to reflect. The events of the past year in my life has me looking back at family, and my family’s love for movies which led us to that theatre in 1977. Dad was a John Wayne fan, and was all about watching The Duke in THE COWBOYS and THE GREEN BERETS. Mom is all about GONE WITH THE WIND. My brother and sister followed in my footsteps with STAR WARS, INDIANA JONES, and THE LORD OF THE RINGS, and this Blogger’s girlfriend is all about THE SOUND OF MUSIC and MARRY POPPINS. Cinema has been with me for years, and it always shall be.

So here are my reasons for loving film, which can give a glimpse into what makes me tick, and maybe inspire you to examine what films are important in your life, and why.

WHY I LOVE THE MOVIES

20. Because the trick is not minding that it hurts.

19. Because if they catch you, they will kill you. But first, they must catch you.

18. Because a Jaguar Shark ate my best friend.

17. Because we will not walk in fear of one another.

16. Because of John Williams.

15. Because I have been, and always shall be your friend.

14. Because what we do in life echoes in eternity.  

13. Because Red October was hunted.

12. Because the only Virtue is Vengeance. A Vendetta.

11. Because Crom laughs at your four winds!

10. Because it’s a wonderful night for Oscar.

9. Because they made me an offer I couldn’t refuse.

8. Because “I love you”, and “I know”.

7. Because every man dies. Not every man really lives.

6. Because I will drink your milkshake.

5. Because if someone asks me if I’m a god, I say yes.

4. Because they needed a bigger boat.

3. Because there had to be snakes.

2. Because the Fellowship will not fail.

1. Because of what happened on May 25th, 1977.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A few rules:
1. Personal attacks not tolerated.
2. Haters welcome, if you can justify it.
3. Swearing is goddamn OK.