Thursday, September 7, 2023

A Reel 50 : Part 2 - 50 Years, 50 Films




This Blogger has just celebrated his 50th birthday. To mark this glorious event, I have been looking back at the films that have inspired, educated, and thrilled me. In Part 1 (HERE), I went through the notable films that were released in the year of my birth, 1973. In this Part 2, I will list my favorite film from every year since I was born, and then list a favorite from that decade. 




First Decade: 1973 – 1982

 

1973 - The Exorcist

1974 - The Godfather Part II

1975 - Jaws

1976 - Rocky

1977 - Star Wars

1978 - Watership Down

1979 - Apocalypse Now

1980 – Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

1981 - Raiders of the Lost Ark

1982 - Conan the Barbarian

 

My formative years. The first film I saw on the big screen was Disney’s THE RESCUERS at a drive-in, in 1977. But it was STAR WARS just a few months later where my life-long love affair with the movies really began. Not just a spectacle but classic, hero’s journey storytelling that captured the ultimate spirit of adventure. My first decade produced some classic cinema from Spielberg and Coppola and introduced me to Conan, but everything I know about the movies began in this decade in 1977. 

 

Decade Favorite: STAR WARS 

 

 

Second Decade: 1983 – 1992 

 

1983 – Star Wars: Return of the Jedi

1984 - Ghostbusters

1985 - Back to the Future

1986 - Platoon

1987 - Predator

1988 - Willow

1989 - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

1990 - The Hunt for Red October

1991 - Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

1992 - Bram Stoker’s Dracula

 

In 1982 my love for adventuring cinema went to another level when I was introduced to Indiana Jones in RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. But it was in 1989 when Indy went on his third big-screen adventure with his old man where the man in the hat delivered an emotional wallop. The father-and-son journey of discovery was not lost on me as a 16-year-old, and it means even more today, now that my own father has ridden off into the sunset. THE LAST CRUSADE was not just a quest for the Holy Grail but for the search for a father-son relationship that the two characters never had. It resonates, and hits deeply. THE LAST CRUSADE is a family favorite and the perfect Father’s Day movie. 

 

Decade Favorite: INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE 

 

 

 

Third Decade: 1993 – 2002

 

1993 - The Fugitive

1994 - Ed Wood

1995 - Braveheart

1996 - Independence Day

1997 - Titanic

1998 - Saving Private Ryan

1999 - The Mummy

2000 - Gladiator

2001 – LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring

2002 – LOTR: The Two Towers

 

In this decade I hit my twenties, joined the military, finished college, and joined the professional workforce. It was a decade of new ideas and early adulthood, but my tastes didn’t change much. Adventuring films such as THE MUMMY, epics like BRAVEHEART, and absolute spectacle from INDEPENDENCE DAY thrilled me. But it was the epic of all epics, Peter Jackson’s monumental adaptation of THE LORD OF THE RINGS that hit me in the heart. There are two films from that trilogy in this decade, but the favorite has to go to THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING. It was that film where I rediscovered big-screen spectacle balanced with heart, and the film that brought myself and my very own Fellowship of friends together. 

 

Decade Favorite: THE LORD OF THE RINGS – THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING 

 

 

 

 

Fourth Decade: 2003 – 2012

 

2003 – LOTR: The Return of the King

2004 - The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

2005 - Good Night and Good Luck 

2006 - V for Vendetta

2007 - There will be Blood

2008 - The Dark Knight

2009 – Zombieland

2010 - The King’s Speech

2011 - Rango

2012 – Argo

 

In was in this decade where my tastes in film began to move over into serious, arthouse drama. Films like THERE WILL BE BLOOD and GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK re-opened my eyes to a cinema world that I had overlooked for far too long. It was a transition that comes with age and maturity. But despite this, it's a comedy that takes my decade.  Wes Anderson’s fourth feature, THE LIFE AQUATIC WITH STEVE ZISSOU, has Bill Murray playing an aging oceanographer and documentary filmmaker who finds himself at an impasse, and being that I was in a period of change myself, was able to see myself in Captain Zissou. This is an adventure, says the final line in the film; a line that sticks with me every day. 

 

Decade Favorite: THE LIFE AQUATIC WITH STEVE ZISSOU

 

 

 

Fifth Decade: 2013 – 2022 

 

2013 - 12 Years a Slave

2014 - The Imitation Game

2015 – Star Wars: The Force Awakens

2016 - Hell or High Water

2017 - Dunkirk

2018 - A Star is Born

2019 - 1917 

2020- Onward 

2021- CODA

2022- Banshees of Inisherin 

 

Early in this decade things came full circle. After a 10-year absence from the live-action big-screen, STAR WARS came back with a force. The seventh episode in the Saga, THE FORCE AWAKENS, recaptured the fun and adventure of the early films, and made this Blogger feel like he was four-years old in 1977 again, being whisked away to desert planets where bad guys classicaly wear black and the good guys come in all shapes and sizes. It’s the film that brought my wife and I together, and when Han Solo says, “we’re home”, he’s speaking to me…and all of us. My 50 years on this planet began a long time ago, and ends in a galaxy far, far away.  

 

Decade Favorite: STAR WARS – THE FORCE AWAKENS

 

*

 

Be sure to come back in 50 years for my favorite 100 films. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

A few rules:
1. Personal attacks not tolerated.
2. Haters welcome, if you can justify it.
3. Swearing is goddamn OK.