Wednesday, February 6, 2019

A Reel Birthday

This month marks the 9thanniversary of Reel Speak. 
The number nine is a significant number. As the highest single-digit, it is the last birthday to be celebrated before marking a decade. In culture, it is often associated with the Chinese dragon; a symbol of magic and power. In Norse mythology, and in the popular Marvel Cinematic Universe, the universe is divided into nine realms, and later this year, the 9th episode of the STAR WARS Saga will be released. 
And it was the magic and power of STAR WARS in 1977 which set this Blogger on his career and life journey, a journey that took on new meaning in February of 2010 with the founding of Reel Speak. The idea was to blog about film in a way that would share my love of the movies with friends, family, and eventually anyone else who cared. The blog has changed and evolved over the years; from reviews and news to opinions, significant film anniversaries, top 10 lists, awards season predictions and analysis, and for the first time in the past year…a special guest writer. 
Each year, to celebrate not only Reel Speak’s birthday but my love for film, this Blogger is proud to share the Top 20 Reasons Why I Love the Movies; a list of direct and indirect references to the films that live in my gut, heart, and soul. Hopefully this annual list can give the world a glimpse into what makes me tick, and maybe inspire others to examine and reflect on what films are important to them, and why. 
WHY I LOVE THE MOVIES
20. Because the trick is not minding that it hurts. 
19. Because if they catch you, they will kill you. But first, they must catch you. 
18. Because a Jaguar Shark ate my best friend. 
17. Because we will not walk in fear of one another. 
16. Because of John Williams
15. Because I have been, and always shall be your friend. 
14. Because what we do in life echoes in eternity. 
13. Because Red October was hunted.
12. Because the only Virtue is Vengeance. A Vendetta. 
11. Because Crom laughs at your four winds! 
10. Because it’s a wonderful night for Oscar. 
9. Because they made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. 
8. Because “I love you”, and “I know”. 
7. Because every man dies. Not every man really lives. 
6. Because I will drink your milkshake. 
5. Because if someone asks me if I’m a god, I say yes. 
4. Because they needed a bigger boat. 
3. Because there had to be snakes. 
2. Because the Fellowship will not fail. 
1. Because of what happened on May 25th, 1977. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

A few rules:
1. Personal attacks not tolerated.
2. Haters welcome, if you can justify it.
3. Swearing is goddamn OK.